People often refer to older single's as 'leftovers.' Well, I am no leftover, nor do I deserve to settle for someone that is.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Unique

They say to be yourself. Word on the street is that unique is better than factory made. In fact, John Mason once said, “You were born an original. Don't die a copy.” Words such as these are semi-comforting as I sit in a room full of people, half girls, half guys, observing who they are and how they act while thinking to myself, “I am just not like these girls. It is just not me!” Such was the case last weekend at the comedy show I went to. Remember how I invited lots of people but many were unable to make it? I ended up going with my friend and her two roommates. We had a spectacular time together. These girls are a lot of fun, are interesting to converse with and have taste buds that match my own (Pita Pit is a great late night snack, mmm!!). As I sat waiting for the show to start however, I quickly became discouraged at my own sense of self. Maybe it was Provo, or maybe it was just me. I often feel like a daisy in a room full of roses. They are nice, but they are different, and roses seem to be more desirable to the greater population.


After taking notice of my nonconformities, I decided to forget about them and sit back and enjoy the show. It did not disappoint. As always, my friend and his buds were hilarious and entertaining. A good laugh is always the perfect cure for feeling out of place and somewhat spectacle. Afterward I waited around for him for quite some time while he visited with everyone else. Finally my turn arrived and we had a nice visit…talked about the good old days, hugged a few times, he kissed me and we were on our way. I told the girls that I like him because he kisses me every time I see him…haha. On the cheek of course! He is a good hugger though and I always get a few of those which are like tiny drops of rain in a seemingly endless drought. Any little drop is somewhat of a welcomed miracle!

I am daily reminded of the person I am. I feel like I am surrounded by a whole group of people who are alike and I am often on the outside, trying to force my way into their circle. Part of this comes from not growing up here and therefore, naturally viewing life differently and having experienced life in a different way. It’s not bad, just different. Most of the time however, I am grateful for my differences. I want to be me, not someone else. I like who I am and don’t necessarily have the desire to conform. In fact I will gladly take Judy Garland’s advice to “Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.” I just hope that there will be a man that likes my unique, quirky, crazy self and be okay with stepping outside of the normal box to choose a daisy over a rose.

4 comments:

Growing Up Skye said...

There will be a guy like that someday, Teresa. There was one who found and loved me even though I was different. I totally know how you feel. I've felt that way my whole life--still do even now that I'm married. But some places are better than others. It's been almost like culture shock coming back to Utah because people here are soooooooo different than they were in Phoenix. I seriously hope you get the chance to move to some cool, big city someday because there's such a better variety of people, more people that are "different" just like us! There are some great things about Utah, but honestly, in a way, all I can think about is how I can't wait to move away from here again someday. I know none of that may be very comforting, but there is still hope. There is always hope and that is one of the most important things anyone can have! And as always, I think you are amazing!

Livin it up said...

Thanks Tacy! It is definitely different outside of Utah but fortunately, I always do seem to run in to people similar to me, even here. I'm glad that I have such good friends. I think that it is more diverse here than one would think at first, it's just that when you get into large crowds of people that you don't know, it seems that they are all a certain way. A way that I am not...and just never will be. Oh well though...I know I have a kindred spirit somewhere out there...

Anonymous said...

Don't try too hard to fit in... You were made to stand out!

Livin it up said...

:) Thank you! Great advice!