People often refer to older single's as 'leftovers.' Well, I am no leftover, nor do I deserve to settle for someone that is.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mr. Tardy #16

It is a small world. That’s what they always say anyway. Though I find it to be rather large, it is quite coincidental how often you find yourself interconnected with people of your acquaintance. The story I am about to tell you lends itself nicely to the old adage…”It’s a small world.”

So, there I was one day in the faculty room at lunch, just sitting on the couch reading my book and minding my own business, when the teachers sitting around the table (including my partner that travels around with me all day every day teaching music as I do) began talking about dating. One such fourth grade teacher began her tales of the bad luck her son has had. My partner inquired as to how old this son of hers was. As it turned out, he was 29 years old. Partner immediately offered up myself as a sacrifice to the dating world, declaring my great interest in “younger men.”

Well, what could I do at that point? The mother who despaired for her son looked hopefully at me and asked if I liked being set up. I told her I didn’t mind and gave her my information as she told me all about her son. Just as I was handing her the paper disclosing my contacts and signing my life away, she told me his name. Now, I have a pretty good memory sometimes. It is weird the things that I remember. They at times seem a little irrelevant but in this moment, I was somewhat grateful for my powers of remembrance. As she spoke his name, a bell immediately rang inside and a memory of not so long ago came to the forefront.

Ahh yes, just a few months ago, in my state of bliss and like, I was at a birthday party for Mr. Keeper. At the bowling alley I met several of his friends. One such friend, who was kind of a different sort of guy but friendly, went by his last name. I asked what his first name was and since it was the same as a brother of mine, I guess it just stuck in my head. Also, he, Mr. Keeper, another girl, and I, were the only ones that bowled that night. So yes, when his mother said his name, I knew immediately that it must be him. I texted Mr. Keeper and soon found out that indeed this was the same guy. So, friends with Mr. Keeper huh? I didn’t say anything to his mom, just went about my business.

It’s been several weeks but Mr. Tardy finally decided to give me a call. You know the story from my previous post. He called, set up the date, and then fell asleep and left me hanging. Needless to say, when we rescheduled for this evening, I was a bit skeptical. I didn’t do much to get ready because I wasn’t sure he would show up. But, show up he did…only 20 minutes late this time. Wait? No problem, it’s what I do. Anyway, I never told him of our connection but when I answered the door he immediately said, “oh, I do remember you.” Apparently Mr. Keeper gave him a hard time for ditching me last week. He never told me about that but I think it’s super sweet. That’s all.

While I wasn’t to this point very intrigued or impressed by the man, I had to give him props for driving a nice big truck. You know me…I like a man with a big truck, what can I say? He nicely opened my door and set out down the street. Then, just as I feared, he asked me where was a good place to eat around here. I directed him to the nearest restaurant mecca and we settled on Johnny Carrino’s. Hmmm, how many dates have I been on there? I should get some sort of frequent customer discount or something. Anyway, we talked easily enough, though he kept bringing up Mr. Keeper which is still somewhat of a painful subject for me so that was awkward. But at the same time, I understand because it is common ground for us.

The food was delightful as always. I mean, what can I really say about another dinner date? It ran smoothly enough…nothing too exciting to tell. He was polite though the conversation eventually drifted toward dating which is always awkward when one is on a date but oh well. He complained about the difficulties of dating and so forth. At that point I was kind of ready to go. Finally we did and he asked me if I was ready to go to Vegas. I answered with a vigorous ,“NO” and he said something about that being too bad because he was going to take me there where a plane was waiting to go to Hawaii. Umm, awkward… Haha, but knowing him a little, I laughed it off and directed the conversation elsewhere. It did give me cause to worry for a minute that this was more than just a dinner date though. But, he told me that he wasn’t looking forward to going in to work tonight so I knew that he needed to be home soon. Whew. I was all set for a nice relaxing night at home so that was a relief!

He took me home and narrated the fact that he was doing the gentlemanly thing and walking me to the door. He walked me up, gave me a quick hug, and apologized again for blowing me off last week. He said something about talking to me later and I was like, “see ya!” and hurried into the house. Nice guy, nice truck, good food, and home early. Not too bad of an evening. Do I want to date him? No. But it turned out, Oh-Kay, so that is good. I had another offer for a date today as well, from a friend, so I guess when that happens, I will write some more. Hey, I may even write about something else in between! : ) 

No comments: