People often refer to older single's as 'leftovers.' Well, I am no leftover, nor do I deserve to settle for someone that is.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Next in Line Please

Do you ever have those moments where you know you should do something, but then you don’t? For example, I have known for quite some time that I really should cut back my internet time. Honestly, I really have. Yesterday I was hardly home at all, so when I finally finished with work, conferences, private lessons, and meetings, I took a few minutes to check my facebook. I had a friend online that started talking to me pretty quickly so I talked back. Only seconds later this boy that I don’t even know started up a chat with me. He friended me some time back and I accepted only because I found out he is in my ward. As relief society president, I am trying to get to know everyone in the ward, so I decided this one time, not to turn him away (even though that is my normal policy with strangers).

This particular young man (oh my goodness, I don’t even know how old he is…yikes!!) is very much akin to Special #11. It could be his twin in fact. Except it’s not. But you get the idea, right? Something just isn’t exactly altogether there with him. For example, he started chatting with me on facebook like we were bestest friends. I cannot remember a single word spoken to this boy, ever! Even so, I tried to be nice and humor him. The president of our men’s group got online just then. He is a very good friend that I have not talked with much in weeks. So, I opened another chat box for him and immediately asked who this guy was. Let’s just pretend that his name is John White for just a minute. I can assure you that it isn’t, but let’s pretend. I ask said friend, “Who is John White?” Friend says, “Uh, he is uh John White.” I replied, “Wow, that really clears things up for me, thanks!”


After some friendly joking around I came to find out that the boy is indeed, or was, a member of the congregation that we attend. He and his brothers are in fact special ed in some way. They are VERY nice people. I’m just trying to describe to you who they are. Friend thought it was pretty hilarious that this John was chatting it up with me like we were old pals. He told me that they guy wanted to ask me out. I laughed it off of course, hoping it wasn’t true. But alas, it was true! Dang it friend, why did you have to be right this time? John said to me, “being single sucks.” I said, “oh really? I kinda like it.” I thought I was quite hilarious in this clever little reply. Friend thought it was funny too.


Friend decided that I should transcribe my conversation for him, so I did. It made the situation a little more entertaining for me, and slightly less painful as I realized once again that this seems to be my lot in life. Anyway, eventually this John White said, “just saying if I asked you out would you?” What else could I do but say, “sure.” I did just that and it was settled. Friend was elated, though he thought I was only humoring him at first when I told him of my acceptance. He told me that John was jumping up and down for joy. Then…then John confessed that he doesn’t drive, and memories of #11 came flooding back into my mind. I took a deep breath and assured him that it was no problem.

I’ve been through this before…I can handle it again. I’m hoping in this case that practice doesn’t make perfect however. I’m hoping that one day, maybe some magical day in a distance future that is hard to make out, there will be a real handsome man, a good man with a ridiculously amazing sense of humor and enthusiasm for life and living it, a hard working, loving man that will set his eyes on me and never want to divert them. He will want to pursue me until there is no more need of pursuit and beyond. I won’t have to do all the work because he will do his share and I will be happy…and so will he. Someday. Some magical, distant, far away day.

No comments: